Changing Surface Area
11SCI - Chemical Tūhura
Investigating a Change in Surface Area
- To measure the effect of surface area on the rate of reaction
- To consider fair testing and accuracy in my method
- To justify why increasing the surface area increases the rate of reaction
Increasing Surface Area in Calcium Carbonate
To increase the surface area of calcium carbonate we can use smaller chips and even crush it into a powder.
Reaction of Calcium Carbonate and \(HCl\)
- On Tuesday you will be reacting these chemicals together.
- Calcium carbonate is a white solid and \(HCl\) a clear liquid.
- Measure the time until the calcium carbonate has dissolved.